Search this blog


Home About Contact
2008-07-08

3S Summer trip : Part 3 - Helsinki  

Recipe for Guantanamo-like treatment in Russia : -

1. Ensure that you are a citizen of some less known Asian country among Russian- Malaysia is a fine example.

2. An immigration officer who apparently know nothing about the concept of British Commonwealth and the EU visa-lifting for most Commonwealth Country

3. Crossing the Russian Border...

4. By land route....

5. To European country in the west...

6. In the middle of the night

A perfect recipe !!!!!!

After being treated like a suicide bomber in the Russian part of the border for almost half an hour, and being sneered by the Russian aboard our bus ( I guess they dont think that we can understand when they called us a "black-unlawful-monkey"). we actually past the Russian border into the land of midnight sun, Finland.

And what awaits us in Helsinki worth all the trouble.
A smiling, charming, good-looking, nonetheless alarmed Finland Immigration officer greet us. That smile really melt all the uneasiness I got from the previous border experience.


View Larger Map

Senate Square, Helsinki

Helsinki- the pearl of the Baltic Sea - is literally a pearl. With its dispersed small island, rich culture, and a border extending to the Arctic Circle, it really can offer much to its visitors.
Yet what I'm amazed of is mostly - the people.

Contrary to popular belief about Scandinavian, Finnish are actually friendly. I cant get enough help from bystanders who offering me way guides whenever I seem lost. I dont even have to ask. Just stand beside a bus stop with a map in hand - and they knew u need help :)

On a totally different point - I met a Canadian guy in St Petersburg earlier who happen to live in a same hostel with me. In a beautiful serendipity, we accidentally bumped onto each other in the centre of Helsinki. He kinda believed in lucks and charms, and insist that we exchange email so that we can keep in touch. I gave him mine, but I didnt keep his. So till now I;m still waiting for his first mail.

We tried the Finnish Sauna - and its totally, totally cool (or hot)...I cant stand there for more than 20 minutes, but its totally rejuvenating. I felt like a chicken being simmered.

And a lot2 of fish. Being in Scandinavia, it means our staple diet is varities of fish. Smoked Salmon, fried small fish, and whats not. Another bites of fish, and I think I can already breath underwater like they do.

This evening, we'll be leaving to Stockholm aboard the semi-luxurious Cruiser Ship, Viking Lines. More pics about it later. Until then...see you :)

Warm regards


Aboard the MS Gabrielle, Viking Line (Helsinki - Stockholm)

The MS Gabrille


What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories