Search this blog


Home About Contact
2008-02-23

the unusual russian friendliness  


ok, so contrary to some western european countries, Russian are not well-known for their friendliness with foreigners. Strike a conversation with strangers is odd enough for them, but when that strangers is a foreigners, hell (s)he might rather dance in his/her underwear in the middle of a snow.

so, when I was loittering around alone recently, I was so surprised when this little girl here suddenly sit in front of me and strike a conversation "MENYA ZAVOT OLYA...KAK TEBYA ZAVOT (recall she used the "tebya" form, insisting friendliness instead the "VAS" form)- which means she was asking about my name.

I couldnt believe it that I hesitated to answer even in front of this kindergarden girls. Well, u can never know how they could strike your russian-impaired tongue. (I am no excellent Russian speaker)

anyway, we have a little chat , mostly about her, (they learn how to brag even from this age), shared some fries, and even played tug-the-tissue-and-lets-see-who-get-the-bigger-pieces-and-won-the-longest-french-fries.

but it only last for 7 minutes when her mother came and grab her arms and dragged her away (of course during this time she managed to throw me a stern look while saying "excuse me this little brat just disturbed your meal"..and even before I could say "it's ok, c'est normale..or "nu, nichevo", she had her dragged across the restaurant while whispering something to her along the way

I believed she said:
"What the hell do you think talking to that foreigner?? couldnt you see he eat kids for breakfast!!!"

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



2 comments: to “ the unusual russian friendliness